"Darkness Too
Visible" by Megan Cox Gurdon is an article about the troubling content in
Young Adult Literature and why it is not appropriate for this age group. The author is trying to prove to the readers
that the themes in Young Adult books are too dark. She wants people to think about the damage
they could cause for teens as well as how it affects them. Throughout the article she uses author’s
crafts and perspectives to support her opinions on Young Adult literature.
In the
article, Ms. Gurdon used many specific craft moves and opinions to support her
claim. For example, Ms. Gurdon uses
imagery to describe the view of Young Adult fiction, "if books show us the
world, then fiction can be like a hall of fun-house mirrors, constantly
reflecting back hideously distorted portrayals of what life is." This shows how she uses imagery to negatively
portray how Young Adult reflects the events in the world. Ms. Gurdon also uses loaded words to show her
opinion. For example, in the text
it weaves words into the article such as daring, savagely, controversial,
profane, lurid and many others to stretch her point and make the books seem
darker than they truly are. In addition,
Ms. Gurdon uses certain perspectives to prove her point. For example, in the article there is a quote
from a mother of teenagers that says, “nothing, not a thing, that I could
imagine giving my daughter. It was all
vampires and suicide and self-mutilation, this dark, dark stuff.” Ms. Gurdon uses this quote to show that a mother, someone most
adults can relate to, could not find a single book to buy for a simple gift, so
how could teens be reading books like this on a daily basis?
Overall, I disagree with Megan
Cox Gurdon’s point of view in the article.
I believe that YA literature is important for teens to read, whether because
it shows that there are people in the world that you can relate to, or to open
your eyes to things that are going on in the world that you wouldn’t have
otherwise known about or been expose to.
In the article I learned that YA fiction can be sometimes too mature for
young readers, but it really depends on the person reading the book. And lastly, one thing that I did not like
about the article is that it uses a very biased selection of quotes. No quote is from an actual teen, so how can
people know for sure that your adult literature actually affects teens?
I totally agree when you said,"I learned that YA fiction can be sometimes too mature for young readers, but it really depends on the person reading the book." Someone might be more mature than someone else, regardless of what their age is.
ReplyDeleteGreat argument. I like how you give specific details on her craft and imagery.
ReplyDelete